DTI Advanced Defensive Handgun with John Farnam
The Advanced Handgun course is intended for graduates of the Basic Handgun course. Because the basics are only covered by a review, beginning students may find themselves in the uncomfortable position of being expected to know things that they do not. To avoid this situation, which is unpleasant for everyone, students which have graduated from other Basic Handgun programs are encouraged to contact DTI directly to determine if all the prerequisities for this course have been covered. Beginning students are strongly encouraged to attend a Basic Handgun class before attending the Advanced class.
Subject covered in the Advanced Handgun class include:
- Review of SAFE gun handling and range safety
- Review of legal and moral aspects of defensive shooting
- Review of handgun ammunition types and capabilities
- Basic/revue range exercises, administrative and tactical
- Interview stance
- Weaver stance
- Trigger manipulation
- First shot
- Multiple shots
- Stoppage reduction
- Covering suspects at gunpoint
- Verbal challenge, low and high intensity
- Carrying concealed handguns, options, techniques of employment
- Close range shooting, shove-shoot, unsighted fire, recommended impact points, shooting from the ground
- Cover and movement, roll-out technique, retreat techniques
- Team exercises, working with a partner in a tactical situation, coordination, team synergy
- Moving with a gun in hand, accident avoidance
- Injured-limb drill/one-handed shooting, shooting, reloading, stoppage reduction, all using only one hand
- Pivots, left, right, reverse
- Back-up guns, carry options, employment
- Advanced low-light drills, with flashlight, cover, and movement
This is the gear for all DTI courses hosted by Tactical Response. The only difference is the amount of ammunition. The basic class requires 200 rounds, Intermediate 600 and Advanced is 600. If you need further clarification John Farnam’s e-mail address is at the bottom.
Be sure you bring at least two extra magazines or speed loaders, eye (safety glasses) and hearing protection, a sturdy leather belt, a high-quality, concealable belt holster, magazine/speed loader carriers, and a baseball cap. Our work will be from a concealed draw, so please make sure your equipment is genuinely concealable and suitable for continuous, daily wear.
Please be advised that, in our experience, exposed-lead (unjacketed) pistol ammunition, in any caliber, is the source of a great deal of heartburn on the range. It gums up pistols with bullet lube so badly that the guns soon start to experience malfunctions and often are rendered sterile and out of service altogether. Home-made reloads, in general, tend to be inconsistent and sometimes dangerous. Accordingly, we strongly recommend that you bring to our course either new, factory ammunition or high-quality remanufactured, jacketed, ammunition from a reliable source. Be sure you specify pistol ammunition is to be loaded to full, factory power.
The Course will be outdoors and will entail some physical activity, so you will need to dress appropriately (long pants, long-sleeve shirt, sturdy shoes). You may get dirty, so wear something heavy-duty but inexpensive. Don't show up in sweat pants or shorts. You should also bring along an old sports coat or jacket, so that you will able to practice your draw from concealment.
Finally, you will need a gun bag or box, so that you can safely carry your gun on and off the range, unless, of course, you are authorized to carry concealed, in which case I presume you will be carrying to and from the range. Again, please do not hesitate to contact Tactical Response or me DTI if you are confused about any of these instructions.
Our training text, The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning, Second Edition is now available, as is The Farnam Method of Defensive Rifle and Shotgun Shooting, and Guns and Warriors, Volume One. In addition Vicki’s two books, Teaching Women to Shoot, a Law Enforcement Instructor’s Guide, and Women Learning to Shoot are also available, all from www.TacticalResponseGear.com
Thanks again for joining us. You will learn a great deal. We’re looking forward to seeing you there.”
Here are four things you can do to ensure you have a great class:
- Watch these free videos. This will make your experience MUCH better and will answer many questions. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC6EFC9BB68FC497C
- We respectfully request that students have read "The Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper before attending class.
- For more information about our classes and to read hundreds of student reviews loaded with pictures and video clips join our web forum http://www.GetOffTheX.com
Class location: http://tacticalresponse.com/
blogs/library/18975331- training-locations Classes begin at 0800hrs at Tactical Response located at 116 Wood Ave Street Camden, TN 38320 (Phone:877-7LETHAL ). The Team Room is located at 151 McRae in Camden TN. Please email [email protected] CONFIRM your spot in the Team Room (No confirmation equals no bed).